By Kris Freeman, Sports Information Director, White House Football
WHITE HOUSE – This Friday, the undefeated Blue Devils are 10-0 and heading into the first round of the Class 4-A playoffs with a home game against Chester County at 7 p.m. Let’s bounce around the stats to see what the Blue Devils have done well this season, and a few things that could improve as the team gets better each week.
- Scoring 33.6 points per game including 238 of 336 total points in the first half.
- Has only trailed once (Springfield)
- 45.7% on third down and 53.8% on fourth down and only punted 19 times, with seven of Kevin James kicks going inside the 20.
- Not high stats in yardage, but balanced. The Blue Devils average 279.5 yards per game with 117 passing and 162 rushing.
- Scores on big plays. The Blue Devils have 43 offensive touchdowns and three field goals, but are just 34-of-39 in the red zone which means double digit touchdowns from outside the 20.
- Behind in time of possession, 25:14 to 22:46.
- Only 10 turnovers.
- Balanced rushing. Leading rusher is Preston Sharber with 486 and Will Frazer with 335. The Blue Devils traditionally contend for a 1,000-yard back. Six players have over 100 yards rushing.
- Throw it around, as 13 players have caught a pass and six of them have scored touchdowns.
- 18 players have scored points.
- Allowed 7.4 points per game, third best in the state overall.
- Allowed only 10 points total in the second quarter and just 24 for the whole season in the first half.
- Shut down conversions. Allowed 29.7% on third down and 26.1% on fourth down.
- Lot of penalties. Given up 10 first downs by penalty of 87 first downs total.
- Given up only 53.9 passing yards per game.
- Big runs at times. Allowed 130.5 rushing per game.
- Strip drill. Created 23 turnovers (plus-13). They have picked off 11 passes, recovered 12 fumbles and created 30 fumbles.
- Only given up eight trips into the red zone, with five scoring.
- Pressure behind the line: 14 sacks, 113 tackles for losses and 30 quarterback hurries. Tyler McMurtry leads with seven sacks and 28 TFL.
- Run after interceptions: 147 return yards on 11 picks.
- Seven of 19 punts inside the 20 yard line.
- Don’t return many punts. Just 10 for the year, but one touchdown by Carter Hunt.
- Convert kicks: 35-of-38 PAT and 3-of-5 FG.
- Don’t always kick deep: 44.6 yards per kickoff, but can get into end zone.
- Overcome injury and adversity. Very balanced. Young players stepped up.
- Served the community and supported the other sports in the school.
- Mary’s Rock.
- Focused introduction and walk-through the tunnel.
- One game at a time.
- Enjoy the moment.
See you Friday!